I turned 24 last year and listed out all of the golden rules I operate by.
But the one I’ve been having the most fun with lately is: Go first.
- When you’re walking along the footpath and lock eyes with someone, smile first.
- Entering a coffee shop in the morning, say good morning to the staff. If you know their names, use them. Names are always better than a standard hello.
- Retail store clerk notices you walking around the store. How’s your day going? Instead of awkwardly avoiding them.
- Ate a nice meal? Personally go up to the chefs/restaurant staff and thank them for their services instead of being ushered out with a smile.
- Getting in an Uber? The driver has probably started the conversation with the last 20 passengers. Change their day.
- Want to hang out with someone you like but worried about sending the first text? Send it anyway.
- No one on the dance floor? Start it.
- Everyone else shy to offer an answer in class? Do your best.
- Holding in a laugh because no one else is laughing? You better start LOL’ing.
- Two guys playing accordion in horse masks? Be the first to tip them.
Every time I walk away from a situation I wish I’d done something, I’ve felt like shit.
Every time I go first it opens up a whole other world.
Remove the prehistoric instinct to hesitate (except when crossing the road).
Don’t be the bitch of your own mind.
Even if it backfires, it makes for a far better story.